New challenges before we've even started
Only a couple days after handing over our material to the manufacturer - new challenges arose.
Our case had an issue - it couldn't withstand a water pressure of 20 ATM (200 meters) with the current design. There were also a couple of other minor issues to be fixed according to the manufacturer.
Ross has many years of experience with technical 3D design and in his opinion the main issue would have to be the thickness of some of the elements.
The manufacturer offered to adjust our drawings, and when we received the adjusted blueprint it was - as Ross predicted - the thickness of especially the glass that has been increased. The rest of the watch had only very small changes.
We approved the new blueprint and also had yet another talk with the manufacturer regarding the dial. We really needed to clarify the luminescent effect we were trying to achieve - and we spent quite a lot of time elaborating this when communicating with the manufacturer.
The original 2D drawing of our base dial that needs to be luminescent
Much more than the watch itself
Meanwhile, Kasper also continued to work on the pouch that needed some adjustments to fit our requirements.
We also began the first drafts on a 'warranty card' - a little card we wanted to go with the watch. The card should hold information abouth the watch itself, a simple manual and warranty information.
As we are two seperate companies behind this little projekt - we really had to consider how to handle warranty issues (if any).
Normally you would refer to the company or homepage of the company behind the watch, but our project was a collaboration - and at this point it wasn't completely clear how and where we were going to sell the watches. The only certain thing was that project was a two-company collaboration.
Our original backcase design (before changing movement)
The best solution ended to be a warrant card which guided the customer to contact the dealer from which they've bought the watch, and we also expected very few warranty issues having spent so much time to find the right, skilled (and expensive) manufacturer.
As a side note we agreed with the manufacturer that they would include spare parts in the final delivery in order to make us handle warranty issues very quickly. However, spare parts are not always within the quoted price, so we were prepared for a 'surprise' when the final batch of 50 watches were to be delivered.
The right watch strap
We also had to make up our minds regarding straps. The vintage eather strap from Watchbandit was a perfect match - but we also wanted a strap for active use - so we tested different straps from Watchbandit.
We also researched the possibility of making our own buckles with both the Watchbandit and Brahe & Bon logos, but as we only needed around 100 straps the cost price of buckles would be much to high, so at this point we were more inclined to use the default quality buckle already supplied by Watchbandit - with their design and logo.
We could have chosen to go with the self-designed buckle with two logos, but the quality would be the same as the Watchbandit buckles - and it would only make the watch more expensive.
Finally - our goal was to deliver a high quality watch at a fair price - and not to flash our brand or focus on details of no value for the end customer.